Wednesday, August 25, 2010

... Albert Haynesworth

I don't know a lot of details about the Albert Haynesworth situation that is and has been unfolding for the last month. But it does seem like Mr. Haynesworth was glad to accept his paycheck, but doesn't want to work for it.

Maybe it is because I only played minor league baseball and never made it to the majors, but I don't understand the mentality of entitlement. I don't know if it is just me, but it seems like conversations about the "contract year" and "he already got paid" are becoming more frequent and it's sad. Is it simply good fortune that some players have their best seasons when they are in the last year of a contract and are heading to free agency? Do some players take it easy or down a notch or two after they were paid?

Don't you owe it to your fans and teammates to give 100%? What about yourself? I will never understand someone not taking pride in what they do.  If I was on a team with someone like Mr. Haynesworth, how can I trust him?

One of the biggest compliments I think you can receive is for someone to say that you were a good teammate. You don't have to be a great friend to be a good teammate. Being a good teammate means that you are willing to do whatever you possibly can to help your team win. And unfortunately, there seems to be fewer and fewer athletes that are willing to be good teammates.

www.tothetopperformance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment