Saturday, November 13, 2010

...Our Veterans

I know this is two days late, but nonetheless, I would still like to give a big thanks to all of our active and retired military personnel.

Like all of us, my life has been personally touched by the military.

My grandfather enlisted in the Army after Pearl Harbor. He didn't wait to be drafted. He saw the need to fight for freedom and stand up the the enemy to protect the United States. He ended up being captured and spent 22 months as a prisoner of war. I don't remember the stories he used to tell. I just remember sitting on the swing on his back porch, wide eyed and listening.

My other grandfather was in the Navy during the second World War. He was a little bit younger and celebrated his graduation of basic training with the news that the war was over. Though he never saw any combat, he is extremely proud of his service, as he should be.

I had an uncle who was in Vietnam. Like many of his generation, the war changed his life and gave him lifelong friends.

My wife has an uncle that re-enlisted after September 11, 2001 and saw a tour of active duty in Afghanistan. He was injured when his humvee was struck by an improvised explosive device. Thankfully, he was able to walk away, but not without scars.

My mom and dad away-from-home during college's son joined the Army after his junior year of high school. He is gearing up for combat duty in Afghanistan also.

It may sound like a cliche, but courage, commitment, sacrifice and honor are the first words that come to my mind when I think of our brave men and women who do and have served our country.

So to all the veterans out there. Thanks. Sorry I'm two days late. But I think we should show our appreciation everyday, not just on Veterans' Day.

www.tothetopperformance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment